Saturday 4 February 2012

layered cake







Cake
115 g butter, room temp
210 g sugar
3 egg whites, room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla
210 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
200 ml milk, warmed for 30 sec in microwave to bring to room temp
food coloring (I just added different amounts of red)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Oil and line how ever many 9” cake pans you have (I have two and I just reused them).

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Cream the sugar and butter, then add the egg whites (I cracked them all into one bowl) and add them a little at a time. Add the vanilla and mix until fully incorporated. Then, alternating between wet and dry, add the milk and flour mixture in two parts.

Divide the batter amongst 3 bowls (It's about 1 c each, but I did it by weight. Then whisk a fair amount of the appropriate food color into each bowl. Keep in mind that the color of the unbaked batter will be the color of the baked batter. Pour into the pans and bake for 15 minutes each.

When you remove them from the oven, let them rest on the cooling rack.

Butter Icing
200g soft butter
4-5 cups icing sugar
half-1 lemon (or hot water)

Cream butter, add icing sugar slowly, add lemon (or water) as needed.

Assembly
Stack the layers in your preferred order and fill and ice as you would any other cake. 


This is the blog I got the recipe from, I halved mine. So if you want the full on six layer cake here it is! and I used a butter icing rather than the egg frosting.

Happy baking!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment